Guess who’s back and randomocity

by eatpraytri on October 11, 2012

I feel like complaining. And then I don’t. And then I do. I guess its not really complaining. Lets call it venting shall we?

One awesome thing first…guess who’s back? You know it. This girl. Back in all her glory.

She had a good time in Alb with my mom. And by good time I mean she ATE. A LOT. Hmmm……

Guinness on the other hand, I don’t think he is too happy about this. He was enjoying being the only snuggle buddy in the bed and on the lap and now he has to share. Boo.

Toby I think could care less. He just runs over any other dog in his way, doesn’t matter how many others there are.

2012 10 05 08 32 29

Ok on to the “venting” part of the post.

These are things that are on my mind/bothering me/preventing me from being the normal chipper Cinnamon we all know and love. Most all of it (if not all of it) is totally temporary and I know it will all get better and new problems will come and all that jazz…I just seem to be in a funk and am hoping that spilling my guts out on the internet will in some weirdly cathartic way help me to feel better. That was a long horrible sentence. See? I’m down and out.

1. Living in temp housing is killing me. Ok that’s dramatic. Its really fine. But still.

This is seriously the biggest thing that just has me feeling so discombobulated. The logical-don’t-want-to-complain-but-want-to-be-thankful-for-what-we-have part of me says, “it could be a 1000 times worse and its really not so bad.” The I’m-not-comfortable-and-want-a-routine-and-my-stuff-back part of me is over it. Its been about three weeks and no idea really when it will be over. We are “next on the list” but we are basically just waiting for someone to vacate their house. No telling when the next one might be.

Things I don’t like about temporary housing

• We don’t have our stuff. Need batteries? Yep, those are packed. 98% of kitchen supplies? Yep, packed. That one shirt that goes with those one pair of pants? Yep, packed. We brought a good amount of stuff with us, but obviously the majority of our everyday items are packed away in storage waiting to be liberated back into our lives.
  • The internet is super spotty. This makes a lot of things hard. #firstworldproblems
  • Two words. No tempurpedic.
  • The three of us are sharing one bathroom. Gross.
  • Meals/cooking is do-able but very VERY difficult given my already limited creativity in the kitchen
  • No DVR. No idea whats on at what time on what channel. Horror.

2. As I start to think about ramping up on blogging again, I am feeling like I am starting all over again at square one. I am positive that during my absence I have lost many readers and interest. I also feel that since my blog sort of has a direction, in reality it is all over the place. I struggle with feeling OK with that and wanting it to have more structure.

Other thoughts on blogging

• I want to get way better at Twitter. I think I can if I really just take the time to do so.
  • I want to get way better at linking to content that I find and enjoy.
  • I honestly have no idea how some people keep their blogs up during busy times in their life. I wonder how some of the daily (sometimes twice daily) bloggers would have dealt with what I have been through the past month or so with regard to their blogs. How do they keep up? How do they make the time and deal with internet issues. These are things I think about and then I realize, I’m probably just not as good at it as they are. They have it all figured out. I am clueless.
  • I hate that I hate pumpkin. This time of year I swear its all over everything and in everything. I just don’t like it. Maybe I should force myself to like it (like I did with bananas) just so I will be able to make some of the recipes I will be reading about for the next four months?

3. I am horrible at calling people. I’m not sure exactly where this came from but I absolutely hate calling someone unless they know I’m about to call. I feel like its such an intrusion. I have no idea what they are doing or in the middle of and who am I to barge in with my loud ring? Its totally irrational because I KNOW that people don’t see it that way. I don’t, so why would others. I’m pretty good with texting, but calling…its just rough for me. This is going to be tough for me considering the main way to keep in touch with the majority of my super close friends that I just left in Seattle will be the phone. This will be a challenge for me, so I’m hoping I get better at it in the coming months.

Phone calling

4. Election stuff is annoying. Since when does disagreeing with someones view on something mean you have to hate them? Or spew ugly words about? Its so dissapointing to see people be so mean and demeaning and condescending. Its also annoying when people smugly act like if you disagree with their opinion you are just so incredibly stupid. I feel like we have lost the ability to have a calm conversation about differences of opinion. In my opinion most of this is driven by the fact that people don’t know WHAT they actually believe. They follow trends, parents, friends, popular ideas, social media and don’t bother to actually look into things. I am just as guilty of this as others which is why I try not to even really talk about politics, candidates etc…unless I really have a good understanding of what the actual issue is. Politics is so incredibly complicated and we all tend to act like we know exactly how to run an entire country. It frustrates and disappoints me.

Election

Alright, enough venting.

Two funny thoughts/stories to end with.

1. I’ve heard about the show Storage Wars but had never seen it before. The day after we loaded all of our earthly possessions into our storage unit, the show happened to be on and we watched like 6 episodes. I instantly wanted to go back to our unit, open the door, look at it for 5 min and then place a bid. I think ours would get top dollar. Side note…we went by the unit last week to get something and saw a sign that an auction was going down later that day. We saw a truck that had a “Yuuuup” sticker on it. Crazy.

Storage wars

2. On our drive back to California from New Mexico there is a point where you have to stop and they do an inspection. Basically “inspection” means they just ask where you are coming from and ask if you have any plants, fruits, vegetables or animals.

This is how it went down.

We drive up and Paul gets nervous. You know that nervous feeling you get when you go through airport security even though you haven’t done anything? Thats what was going on.

The lady stops us and says, “where are you coming from?”

Paul, “ummm….”

Cinnamon quietly from the passenger seat, “New Mexico”

Paul blurts out, “MEXICO!”

………..

he nervously laughs and then says “I mean New Mexico”

Then the lady says, “Any plants, fruits, vegetables or animals?”

Paul, “NOPE!”

Toby promptly sticks his head out the open front window from the back seat.

The lady says, “Oh what’s this?” with a smile.

Guinness crawls up on Pauls lap to see whats going on.

The lady says, “Oh theres more than one”

She goes to pet Guinn and he kind of wags his tail, sniffs her out and then barks loudly in her face.

Somehow, we were not arrested.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 35 comments… read them below or add one }

Nicole October 13, 2012 at 10:10 am

Just found your blog, fellow Seattle-ite runner! Or…used to be? Anywho I SO agree with you on elections and we are TWINS when it comes to being awful with calling people and you’re lovely for being real, honest, and letting it allllll out – give it to Jesus and wait n’ watch as His awesome plan folds out before you – even if you don’t start seeing it for a while longer. He loves you intensely and knows exactly how you’re feeling- surround yourself with loving people and stick yourself in His word whenever you have a chance to. It’ll fill you to the brim, I promise!

Said a little prayer for ya, girl. Happy weekend!

eatpraytri October 13, 2012 at 6:00 pm

awww Nicole, thank you so much for this comment and I am SO GLAD you found my blog. I totally agree with what you say…diving into the word, ALWAYS helps. Can’t wait to check out your blog as well….I can live vicariously through you since you are still in Seattle?!?! Pretty please?!?! ;-)
eatpraytri recently posted..Blogging=Friends=Chocolate?My Profile

Heather @ What Does She Do All Day? October 13, 2012 at 5:41 am

I don’t treat my blog like a job. It’s something I do for myself, so I do it when I want to do it. I imagine it’s difficult to have something to say every day or even multiple times a day with all that I have going on (AKA two young children at home!). And that’s OK!

BTW – I LOVE Storage Wars. I’m all caught up on episodes on Netflix Instant Watch………and waiting for more!!!
Heather @ What Does She Do All Day? recently posted..Double Chocolate Mint CookiesMy Profile

eatpraytri October 13, 2012 at 6:02 pm

YUUUUUP!! LOL.
eatpraytri recently posted..Blogging=Friends=Chocolate?My Profile

Joanna @ Midwestern Bite October 14, 2012 at 6:46 am

Don’t listen to her. She made cookies. And blogged about them. And has new baby number two. She’s lying!!! But maybe she’ll mail you some cookies . . .
Joanna @ Midwestern Bite recently posted..Stuck in Husband’s Head – Girl TalkMy Profile

Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles October 12, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I would have a nervous breakdown if I had to live in temporary housing for more than a few days! When do you guys move in to your permanent spot? I doubt you lostany readers- you’re way too awesome for anyone to have “forgotten” about you!

eatpraytri October 13, 2012 at 6:02 pm

awww…you are the best. You totally made my day!! No telling how long we will be here. UGH!!!
eatpraytri recently posted..Blogging=Friends=Chocolate?My Profile

Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 12, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I love the pictures of Chloe! So darn cute … even if she is pleasantly plump! ;)

Oh and I am THE worst with Twitter. The worst. I don’t even know the last time I checked it.
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Double Tomato BruschettaMy Profile

eatpraytri October 13, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I know, it doesnt even matter how plump she is. Ridiculous.
I was so excited when you joined twitter….lets get better together!? LOL.
eatpraytri recently posted..Blogging=Friends=Chocolate?My Profile

Jennifer@The Foodery October 12, 2012 at 7:43 am

Moving does take a toll on you, no doubt. Last November we moved from Hawaii to Upstate NY. Shipped our two cars (took a month for us to get it), shipped a lot of our household items (also took a month), our two cats flew as “carry-ons” with us in addition to our regular carry-ons, and they were pretty stressed out, even with the ‘calming pills’. For 24 hours they were in transit and ate only a handful of food and not much water, but boy were they glad when they got their feet on solid ground in our studio rental. Story backtrack: I came up in September 2011 for a craft fair and also to look for a short-term rental, we planned to find a permanent home and hoped to do it in 5 months. We left a lot of our things in boxes (had to open them all to be sure nothing was damaged, then repacked it and took it to a storage facility 12 miles away. (My husband did most of the hauling on his own.) We had to get winter clothes and I had to “learn” about winter weather (especially driving in the snow.) But fortune has never smiled on us more than during this past year, I tell you. What we initially planned for ourselves with work and finding a home was NOT what we ended up with, and what we have now is a hundred times better. Wish we could hang out at a Starbuck’s and chit-chat, I know you’re stressing out with the move and the new location and the lack of comforts, and it’s okay to stress out! Things will start looking up, and you don’t have to eat pumpkin–there’s always lemon meringue pie or chocolate mousse cake somewhere! Hang in there, sweetie! :)
Jennifer@The Foodery recently posted..Fall Projects: Fall-Inspired FurnishingsMy Profile

eatpraytri October 12, 2012 at 9:40 am

Awwww Jennifer!! I love this comment. I hate that you had to go through so much rough stuff with your move but in a weird way it also makes me feel better?! I hope thats ok! HA! I know I’m not alone in my struggles with this move. I wish we could go to a Starbucks and chit-chat too! That would be awesome. And thanks for not hating me for not liking pumpkin. Lemon and Chocolate any day of the week please!! ;-)
eatpraytri recently posted..Guess who’s back and randomocityMy Profile

Jennifer@The Foodery October 14, 2012 at 6:09 am

I know what you mean about feeling better, it’s not exactly ‘misery loves company’ but more like, ‘yeah, I can relate!’ :)
Jennifer@The Foodery recently posted..How to…Tofu: Chocolate and Pumpkin-Coconut PuddingMy Profile

Joanna @ Midwestern Bite October 12, 2012 at 7:15 am

The only reader you’ve lost is my laptop and my phone cause I swear I have tried to comment on this post three times and the various electronic devices keep fritzing on me. Sigh. I had best make this fast then.

If you blog it, they will read. Yeah, I HAD to comment that, I just had to.

Also, what exactly is temp housing? An apartment? A Condo? A box? The spare bedroom of the guy in charge of housing? I seriously have no clue.

I know I had more to say, but I’ve forgotten. You’d think I would remember after typing it out three times. Anyway, glad you are back and not in jail. Although it sounds like Paul would have been the one in jail.

eatpraytri October 12, 2012 at 9:29 am

Love that you commented that. Now I am realizing I never really described temp housing. I feel a post coming on.
Yep…Paul narrowly missed out on being behind bars. I’m still not sure how he got out of that one. Must have been his dimples.

Mom October 11, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Hang in there, sweetie. I’ve known you all your life and you just may be the most capable woman I know. One day at a time, and I’ll keep praying.

And on another note — the story about Paul and the dogs at the border was too funny! Laughing so hard, tears running down my face. You got a good man there — lots of entertainment, and he’s cute too!

Joanna @ Midwestern Bite October 12, 2012 at 7:16 am

Oh, and your Mom still reads so you have that. My mom doesn’t read my blog. Go Cinnamon’s Mom!

Mom October 12, 2012 at 9:07 am

She’s a good writer with a great sense of humor. I love reading her stuff!

And…it’s the best way to keep up with what’s going on in her life.

eatpraytri October 12, 2012 at 9:25 am

awww given you are a fab writer who knows good stuff when you see it, I take that as a huge compliment. ;-)

eatpraytri October 12, 2012 at 9:26 am

Well does your mom even know about your blog? If she doesn’t then it doesn’t count. LOL. It’s pretty sweet that she reads it and comments. My pops reads it too. I am a lucky gal to have such supportive ‘rents.

Joanna @ Midwestern Bite October 14, 2012 at 6:49 am

She does. She’s too cheap for buy the internet and too impatient to wait for a computer at the library. Buuuuuut, she did come up yesterday and spent all morning helping me paint the little one’s new room so she is forgiven. She always laughs when I tell her about my blog. That counts for something too!

Heather @ What Does She Do All Day? October 13, 2012 at 5:38 am

Yay for mom comments! :)

Baking Serendipity October 11, 2012 at 4:24 pm

So glad you are back! :) Here’s my randomness…I can only imagine my dog at that checkpoint. Total disaster. And temporary housing? Ugh. I definitely hear you on that one. I kind of suck at the whole moving process, actually. I just want to be unpacked and settled and back to a routine immediately. Oops.
Baking Serendipity recently posted..Antioxidant Trail Mix GranolaMy Profile

eatpraytri October 12, 2012 at 9:37 am

Yes! I can totally relate. We are in the same boat. Well maybe different boats on the same river? Lets just think about the day when everything is unpacked and normal-ish again and we are drinking starbucks and chatting about recipes. Thats a good day.
eatpraytri recently posted..Guess who’s back and randomocityMy Profile

Larissa October 11, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Cinnamon I love your posts – some of them really keep me on the rails let me tell you – this one made me want to start my own so I might hit you up on the how to at some point when i decide to stop procrastinating – thank you for being so open with this stuff – makes me feel human too!

eatpraytri October 11, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Do it!! I would help you with whatever you need and you would have a guaranteed reader! ;-) Thanks for making me feel like I’m not alone, sometimes…I just don’t know!
eatpraytri recently posted..Guess who’s back and randomocityMy Profile

Aly October 11, 2012 at 11:17 am

Take your time coming back to blogging. Your real fans aren’t going anywhere and maybe you can share some temp housing stories. I think I would go nuts!
Aly recently posted..Chicken StroganoffMy Profile

eatpraytri October 11, 2012 at 1:38 pm

awwww…this comment made my day. Checked out your blog and I’m loving it. Be on the lookout for me copying some of your delish looking recipes in the very near future!! ;-)
eatpraytri recently posted..Guess who’s back and randomocityMy Profile

Aly October 11, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Thanks for checking it out! I would be so excited to see what you make! :)
Aly recently posted..Chicken StroganoffMy Profile

Joanna @ Midwestern Bite October 14, 2012 at 6:50 am

Do not let Paul near her blog . . . he will comment about great her food always looks and you will be pretty sure your food sucks in comparison. Just saying. Keep it on the down low.

Andrea @ Andrea out loud! October 11, 2012 at 10:49 am

I always wonder that too – about how certain bloggers just keep up with it. I assum ethat they are SUPER DUPER dedicated and eventually that dedication just becomes part of their daily routine…. i guess.
haha
Also, i wish I was better at twitter as well.
and it is hilarious that paul is all nervous like that. “MEXICO!!!!” haha
Andrea @ Andrea out loud! recently posted..Just A Story TodayMy Profile

eatpraytri October 11, 2012 at 10:56 am

Yeah I think you might be right. They have just figured out a system to make sure it gets all done. Some of them I think the blogging is like their job too so its work and not just a hobby. Twitter is such a valuable resource I think…we can get better at it together! ;-)
eatpraytri recently posted..Guess who’s back and randomocityMy Profile

Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie October 11, 2012 at 10:37 am

Welcome back! I always get so nervous about checkpoints like that! That’s too funny! Hope all is well!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..The Comedic Stylings of Louie CKMy Profile

eatpraytri October 11, 2012 at 10:54 am

isn’t it weird how that happens? Every time!! So afraid they are going to find something we don’t even know about. LOL.
eatpraytri recently posted..Guess who’s back and randomocityMy Profile

Alex @ therunwithin October 11, 2012 at 10:26 am

gosh i miss this humor! that last story made me just laugh out loud at work. I swear my family would be the exact same way. And boy you are allowed to complain, temporary housing is no fun. I was like that for only two months and it was a mess for me. I hated it! I haven’t had pumpkin yet, I feel like a blogger attack may be coming my way. Ha! keep doing what your doing :)
Alex @ therunwithin recently posted..Take it BackMy Profile

eatpraytri October 11, 2012 at 10:53 am

aww thanks Alex. I laugh out loud at that story every time I even think about it. Blogger attack is def on its way. LOL. thanks friend for the support. ;-)
eatpraytri recently posted..Guess who’s back and randomocityMy Profile