Painted Ornament tutorial

by eatpraytri on December 6, 2012

Alright, I told you yesterday that today was learning day, so get out your learning caps. This will be fun.

Ornaments com

Step 1: Get invited to home made ornament exchange party

Step 2: Peruse Pinterest for fun ideas

Step 3: Search high and low in your small desert town for clear glass ball ornaments

Step 4: Order clear glass ball ornaments online

Step 5: Set up your workstation. You will need: ornaments, acrylic paint and some paper towels. Maybe some small cups or egg crates as well (more info on why later)

2012 11 29 13 22 05

2012 11 29 13 22 50

2012 11 29 13 22 53

Step 6: Pick what colors you want to use

Step 7: tilt the ornament and squeeze the paint so that it flows down the side of the inside of the ornament. Try not to let it drip and drop down to the bottom, the key is to get a good LINE of color down the side

2012 11 29 13 23 44

Step 8: repeat with whatever colors you would like to use. I found that 2- 4 colors seem to work best. Any more than that and it kind of turns into a hot mess.

2012 11 29 13 24 33

Step 9: Cover the top of the ornament with a paper towel and SHAKE the ornament until your little heart is content.

2012 11 29 13 25 33

*Note: the WAY you shake the ornament will affect the pattern. I tried all sort of different shakes. Sideways, up and down, swirling in a circle etc….

2012 11 29 13 26 44

2012 11 29 13 26 57

Step 10: Make sure all sides of the ornament are coated

Step 11: let sit upside down in egg crate, paper cup or the plastic thing the ornament came in. **Note: I kind of regretted doing that because then they were full of paint and I couldn’t set the ornaments back in them. Next time I will use something else to drain the paint.

2012 11 29 13 27 10

Step 12: Check the progress of the paint drainage

2012 11 29 13 27 15

Step 13: Make other beautiful ornaments

2012 11 29 13 36 40

Step 14: Continue to check the drainage until it slows considerably

2012 11 29 13 36 45

Step 15: Once all the paint has drained out, turn over the ornaments and let them dry thoroughly. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. If they don’t dry out and you put the top back on, the paint will stay wet and continue to swirl around in your ornament. On some of mine, I capped them off two quickly and now all the paint is sitting at the bottom of the ornament all dried up. DON’T BE LIKE ME! ;-)

2012 11 29 15 59 10

Step 16: Stand back and admire your work

Step 17: Clean up your mess because you know you made one

Step 18: Put pretty ribbons on the ornaments and take lots of pictures

2012 12 01 19 06 10

2012 12 01 19 06 19

Step 19: Put the ornaments in a bag and take them to the exchange and listen to everyone ooohhh and ahhhh at the prettyness.

2012 12 01 19 06 29

Step 20: Be excited when a couple of people don’t’ show so you can take the leftover ornaments home and hang them on your own tree!

DONT FORGET TO COME BACK TOMORROW FOR THE MOST EXCITING NEWS OF THE YEAR!! (I know, a little dramatic, but what can I say? I’m excited!)

Are you going to make some home made ornaments?

If you can find clear glass ball ornaments easily in your town, will you send me some?

What is your favorite Christmas craft project?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Aly December 8, 2012 at 12:13 am

Your artistic skills are beyond mine. Awesome job, and I like the colors you mixed together. :)
Aly recently posted..Balsamic Vinegar Glazed SalmonMy Profile

Joanna @ Midwestern Bite December 6, 2012 at 9:38 am

Awww, pretty. Maybe I will try this with plastic ones. I hear one year old and glass don’t mix well.

Looking forward to tomorrow!! Don’t forget the time difference between me and you so post early because I am impatient. Great. Thanks.
Joanna @ Midwestern Bite recently posted..Stuck in Husband’s Head – Merle HaggardMy Profile

eatpraytri December 6, 2012 at 11:17 am

let me know how it works with the plastic ones if you do it. I am curious.

No worries. 2am PST. all good.
eatpraytri recently posted..Painted Ornament tutorialMy Profile

Ashley December 6, 2012 at 9:37 am

Look at you getting all crafty! :) Love the ornaments! Btw – if you have a Michaels anywhere near you, they usually have clear ornaments. :)

eatpraytri December 6, 2012 at 11:18 am

don’t get used to it! This might be a one time thing. ;-)
No Michaels. No Hobby Lobby. Those were my go too places. They are both like an hour and a half away. Now I am going to go cry again. :)
eatpraytri recently posted..Painted Ornament tutorialMy Profile

Adrienne @ Happy Ramblings December 6, 2012 at 9:01 am

Super cute ornament idea! I found a project for some reindeer and Christmas trees made out of wine corks, I have been saving wine corks for something, I have hundreds of them…I might be a bit of a wino!
Adrienne @ Happy Ramblings recently posted..Not So Wordless Wednesday…My Profile

eatpraytri December 6, 2012 at 11:19 am

NICE!! I love wine corks! So many creative things to make with them. ;-) And its fun collecting them.
eatpraytri recently posted..Painted Ornament tutorialMy Profile

Mom December 6, 2012 at 8:23 am

Amazing!! Where did you get all this craftiness??? Must be a throwback to some ancient artist in the family line. Keep up the beautiful work. (By the way, I wouldn’t mind getting one or more of those ornaments as a Christmas gift …)

eatpraytri December 6, 2012 at 11:20 am

well…if you want to send me some clear glass ornaments that just might happen. Otherwise you might be out of luck :(
eatpraytri recently posted..Painted Ornament tutorialMy Profile

Mom December 6, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I’m on it …

Amanda December 6, 2012 at 8:18 am

I’m not going to make homemade ornaments this year, but I have in the past. I fill up the clear glass balls with glitter, confetti, paper strips or pipe cleaners. I’ve also put stickers on the outside when I did the project with my younger siblings. I always see the clear glass ball ornaments at Wal-Mart, Michael’s, and Hobby Lobby. Not sure if you have those stores. I also enjoy making reindeer candy canes using a glue gun to glue on some wiggly eyes and a pom pom nose. I tie on and twist a pipe cleaner for the antlers (glue to stay in place). Cute for accessories on presents, desk decorations or to hang on your tree. Happy crafting!

eatpraytri December 6, 2012 at 11:21 am

awesome craft ideas! I like filling the clear balls with stuff too like ribbon etc… I filled a couple last year with some of the ribbons that I got on wedding gifts/cards etc…
No Michael’s or Hobby Lobby. We do have a Wal-mart but for some reason they don’t have the clear ornaments. BOOOO.
eatpraytri recently posted..Painted Ornament tutorialMy Profile

Min @ savortherainbow December 6, 2012 at 4:11 am

Ooh fancy! Nice work!! Now can you make me some too?! I love to cook..but doing crafts not so much. They look so beautiful though…If I had a lovely friend like you nearby…
I can’t wait for the big reveal!!! What is it?!! ahhhh
Min @ savortherainbow recently posted..Noble Pig and Majestic GuitarMy Profile

eatpraytri December 6, 2012 at 11:22 am

well I’m not all that good at cooking or crafting. This project just happened to be really easy. HA!
Excited for tomorrow!!